The V13 Policetech Accelerator Start-Up stream will generate high-value collaborations with leading researchers and entrepreneurs at the early stage of development: from concept/ideation to applied R&D to beta prototype stage. Our intent is to discover bold new ideas at the transformative frontier of smart policing and community safety innovation, and help advance those concepts on their pathway to commercialization.
Successful applicants will compete for a Letter of Support from Cobourg Police Service of up to $5,000 (cash contribution) for a collaborative/applied R&D project. It is our intent that this contribution will leverage other incremental non-dilutive/non-repayable funding that you will secure from other eligible sources. Successful projects will work collaboratively with the accelerator to deliver agreed-upon R&D/pilot milestones.
Accelerator benefits include:
- Incubation space in the Venture13® VentureZone (one free seat for one year, valued at $1,500).
- Collaborative/applied R&D partnership with dedicated police liaison support from our accelerator team for a minimum of one year.
- For Start-Up stream participants: up to $5,000 in non-repayable cash contribution to a collaborative project or customer demonstration.
- Perks from our innovation partners, including TELUS and IBM, including development kits, cloud-computing credits and more.
- Marketing and promotional top-spin.
Eligible applicants under the Start-Up stream include entrepreneurs and researchers.
Entrepreneurs will normally have:
- A concept for a novel, innovative and technology-driven solutions (dependant on call) to an unsolved problem in policing that can be successfully commercialized. Specific types of solutions will be defined by the current Call for Applications.
- A solution at Technology Readiness Level (TRL) 1-6
- Investigated and demonstrated eligibility and suitability for third-party programs providing matching funding, for example: OCE, NRC-IRAP, NSERC-Alliance, NSERC-Engage, etc.
Researchers will normally have:
- Formal affiliation with a post-secondary institution (graduate/post-graduate and/or faculty)
- A research project that is eligible for incremental non-repayable/non-dilutive funding under a relevant government program that can leverage our contribution of $5,000 (plus additional in-kind contributions) from the V13 Policetech Accelerator.
- Investigated and demonstrated eligibility and suitability for third-party programs providing matching funding, for example: OCE, NSERC, SSHRC, MITACS, etc.
- Technology Readiness Level (TRL) 1-6.
Start-Up Technology Focus
- Big data/predictive analytics
- Evidence-based policing
- Distributed sensing/virtual patrols
- Community/public relations optimization
- Other smart policing technologies
Following submission of your Expression of Interest, selected entries will be asked to submit a full application. In addition to standard due diligence in evaluation of your application, project summaries will be judged based on the following equally weighted criteria:
- Project fit within guidelines and deliverables set out in the call for applications
- Novelty of the solution/technology to be developed
- Feasibility of the project given the funding envelope and any time restrictions put for the within the call for applications.
- Accessibility to funding leverages and amount leveraged.
- Results of the competitive selection
Expression of Interest
1. Expression of Interest
After reviewing the current Call for Applications (see below) and determining if you have an eligible and suitable project, please submit an Expression of Interest using the above form.
2. Due Diligence
4. Letter of Support
The Winner (and any additional selected Finalists) of the competition will secure a Letter of Support for a $5,000 industry cash contribution* (plus additional in-kind contributions) to back your application for incremental funding to NSERC, SSHRC, NRC, OCE, FDO or similar non-dilutive/non-repayable government funding.
5. Inter-Institutional Agreement
6. Collaborative Project
Current Start-Up stream Call for Applications:
From time to time, the V13 Policetech Accelerator will issue a call outlining specific problems for which we are seeking innovation-driven solutions.
June 2, 2020 – CFP – facial recognition guidelines final.pdf